Thursday, September 6, 2012

Wikihow: How to successfully make Lauren's love potion and a brief history on cocktails, bar tending and Gonzos bar

Bar tending can be one of the most competitive fields around. It's a job where you can make amazing money and having the time of your life or end up wanting to kill someone. But,  what in the end always puts a smile on my face are all the new people I get to meet, all the amazing stories I get to hear, and all the regulars that always come back to see me. I have been bartending for the last two and a half years and its something I have a real passion for, but with every job it has its ups and downs. Am I always flattered when people approach me immediately knowing I bartend at Gonzos or any of the other bars I have worked at? Yes, is it annoying that all my friends and family ask me to make them drinks all the time? Of course but I wouldn't change it for the world. I absolutely love what I do (who wouldn't when you make more than average on only working two nights a week) and I love the flexibility I have so I can focus on having my own life and being a full time student. On this Wiki I will talk about the history of cocktails and bartending, I will then talk about the bar that I work at and last but not least I will introduce and do a step by step description on how to make my "love potion" that I have created.

 History of Cocktails
The first known creation of a cocktail can be traced back to the 19th century, the very first cocktail that was created was the Martini which can be traced back to 1862 in California. During the 1920's the national prohibition act became the 18th amendment meaning it was "illegal to manufacture, sell, transport, import, or export any "intoxicating liquors." Even with this new amendment enforced many people still had ways of getting their hands on the illegal substance. In 1948 the Margarita was born in Mexico by a very wealthy socialite who was hosting a party and was playing a game where people had to mix drinks behind the bar and let the guests test them out, low and be hold when the three parts tequila and one part triple sec were mixed together it was a instant hit. Within the second half of the 20th century the cocktail became very popular, "with the constant creation of new drinks (with some strange and interesting names), cocktails have become increasingly popular. With drink names such as the Freddy Kruger, Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, Afternoon Delight and Sex on the Beach". (http://www.tree.com/food-dining/cocktail-history.aspx)



 History of Bartending
Bartending first became known thousands of years ago. In Rome ,Greece and Asian times many taverns were open for people to enjoy entertainment and to have a drink. We get the word pub from public drinking houses, which were where people socialized. Through the 14th century, most bartenders were the owners of the pubs and made their own liquor. "Bartenders first began honing their craft thousands of years ago. and being a bartender is more than just making drinks. At the heart of most nightlife or socialization, a bar often is where people gather and the bartender is truly the master of ceremonies, the one who keeps everyone refreshed plus entertained."
(http://www.ehow.com/about_4577485_bartending.html)


The Finest Dump On the Canal
Gonzos or otherwise known as the finest dump on the canal is a popular watering hole on the historic Erie Canal. Featuring the best in original and local musicians. Open till' close 365 days a year.
  • Located: 7 Main Street, Lockport 1409
  • Hours of Operation: 4pm-2am
  • Phone number: 716-438-5765
  • Website: www.Gonzo'sBar.com
  • Serves food and drinks at amazing low prices
  • Accepts credit cards (minimum of $10) and cash
Happy Hour is from 4-8 Tuesday thru Saturday with awesome drink specials. The kitchen is open:
  • Friday 5-8
  • Sat 5-12
  • Sunday/Monday closed
  • Tuesday 5-12
  • Wednesday 4-11
  • Thursday 5-11
The Tuesday Special is the Axel Burger which is a 12oz Cheeseburger with the works, Thursday nights we have 50 cent wings, Fridays we have fish fingers with fries and every Tuesday we have spin night where you can spin the wheel to receive discounted drink prices.

Customer Reviews:
"If you're looking for a cold beer with friends you can't beat Gonzos!"
"Great prices, excellent service, top notch entertainment."
"I love this bar! Always a great time! Best bartenders! Great owner!"

(Received information from Jerry the owner and also received permission to use image)


Lauren's Love Potion
One night not too long ago when I was extremely bored at work on a slow night, I made the decision to start messing around with different combinations of alcohol and juice. People would always come in asking for "something fruity" or to "surprise them," after a few failed attempts at making anything that tasted out of this world or new and original I finally came up with an amazing combination that is very deadly since all you can taste is juice in the drink but you have to be careful because the next moment you will be on the floor. I serve this drink to many of my customers and they all love it and the crowd age ranges from younger drinkers to older. It has been an instant hit at Gonzos.

1oz Southern Comfort
1oz Amaretto
1oz Malibu
6oz Pineapple Juice
Splash of Cranberry

  • First you start off with gathering all the supplies and ingredients that you are going to need, these consist of: a drink shaker, any glass, ice, a bottle of Southern Comfort, a bottle of Amaretto, a bottle of Malibu or coconut rum, pineapple juice and some cranberry juice.
  • The ice always makes the drink so fill your glass all the way up with ice
  • Using your shaker (or just pouring into the glass if you don't own a shaker) you will start pouring in the ingredients. Working at a bar you would use the three count when pouring (you don't want to get anyone too drunk), so first take your SOCO and start pouring while counting to three.
  • Next will be the Amaretto
  • And then the Malibu (or coconut rum)
  • Next pour in the pineapple juice once you are done pouring in the alcohol
  • When done with the pineapple juice pour in just a little bit (a quick splash) of the cranberry juice just to top it off
  • Once finished with all the ingredients take your shaker and start shaking like you have never shook before (if just using a glass take another glass and just pour back and forth)
    Now you have successfully made Lauren's love potion, if you are not a lite drinker you can always put more liquor in at your own discretion. Always drink responsibly and enjoy :).
    

No comments:

Post a Comment