Introduction
A self-portrait is a representation of an artist, drawn, painted, photographed, or sculpted by the artist. For this blog we had to only choose three videos from a very long list of student self-portraits made by many different kinds of people. The three videos I chose to speak about were the ones that really stuck out to me and that I enjoyed watching. These three were all done in different yet similar ways and all managed to capture your attention and tell a story. Not saying any of the others weren’t done well just these ones were my personal favorites.
A self-portrait is a representation of an artist, drawn, painted, photographed, or sculpted by the artist. For this blog we had to only choose three videos from a very long list of student self-portraits made by many different kinds of people. The three videos I chose to speak about were the ones that really stuck out to me and that I enjoyed watching. These three were all done in different yet similar ways and all managed to capture your attention and tell a story. Not saying any of the others weren’t done well just these ones were my personal favorites.
“Life is a Ride”
When I first put on the video I didn’t know what to expect
from it, the description posted only said it was a self-portrait with a strong
narrative about a tragic event in a student’s life. The opening of the video
was amazing and set the story for everything else that was about to come. The
transition from the person on the bike to the wheel chair I thought was
brilliant; right then and there you knew that the tragic event was a bike
accident. What makes the video a strong visual narrative? This narrative is
very strong because it can really grab everyone’s emotions seeing how this
person’s life was drastically changed; also it might hit close to home for some
viewers and have the same similar story of having a normal life one day to
being completely different the next. For me it hit home because it reminded of
the day I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes I was 8 so I was
"normal" for a few years then completely thrown into this new way of
life. The transition from black and
white to color video shows the drama of the situation and then the addition of
the photos, with the text, really ties the video together. He does a great job
of telling a story and showing that he didn't let this incident ruin his life.
His visuals also tell the viewer that he wouldn't change a thing, and that his
ride has more meaning and impact.
“My Most Important Self Portrait”
“My Most Important Self Portrait”
"The Art Of Motion"
The videos listed above have a strong visual narrative, visually convey their topic, and the viewer can determine whether or not it's a good video or if it needs work. I am ready to get started on our own self-portraits and trying to produce something that can be almost (keyword being almost) as good as those videos that we have watched. Hopefully our final product will be something that everyone will enjoy watching.

I agree with your statement regarding "Life is a Ride." That's my favorite video as well. I watched that video first, and I didn't think that the other videos compared to what the author was trying to display. It reminds me of a reflection video because he shows you many aspects of his life before and after the incident. The author didn't let the event ruin his life, but he persevered through the situation. That takes a lot of determination because most people would've thrown in the towel, and gave up on life completely. I don't know why this next comment stood out to me the most. Lauren stated, "I am ready to get started on our own self-portraits and trying to produce something that can be almost (keyword being almost) as good as those videos that we have watched." This statement brings the point home that most of us are thinking. Most of the class is inexperienced when it comes to shooting and producing videos on this type of scale. I only enjoyed two of the videos that we had to watch, and wish they inspired me to make a better end product. The videos you mentioned sold their idea well, and that's all the audience can ask for.
ReplyDeleteFor the self-portrait videos you critiqued were well written. The first one about the bike accident gave a strong visual sense of what was happening in the video and what the main character was trying to tell the audience. I can agree with you when you said, “This narrative is very strong because it can really grab everyone’s emotions seeing how this person’s life was drastically changed; also it might hit close to home for some viewers and have the same similar story of having a normal life one day to being completely different the next.” You didn’t just explain what was going on in the video but you interpreted it as well. The second video you critiqued was about a man going through his journey of extreme weight loss. I did not see this video but by your description I got a great visual sense of what was happening. You discussed his use of black and white imagery and the stop action draw imagery. These both were ways to interpret the video aside from just explain what the man was doing in it. The last video you talked about was, “The art of motion.” I also picked this video to talk about. You gave a detailed idea of stop animation and also what the video was about. I agree with the way you interpreted the video and also about how well done it was.
ReplyDelete