Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"A Great Movie Evolves when Everybody Has the Same Vision in Their Heads"


"There is no reason why challenging themes and engaging stories have to be mutually exclusive – in fact, each can fuel the other..." -Edward Zwick

 
Through the use of my iPhone and iMovie I was able to put together a short movie about myself and the separation I have in my life, the separation of me being a bartender and me also being a camp counselor. It was one of my first times using iMovie and playing around with the program, I wasn’t so much nervous about the project as much I was excited to jump into it and see what I could actually do with the program and see what kind of movie we could produce as a team. Having the experience to sit down and take the time to create something with iMovie was something that I really needed to learn and wanted to learn.

All the things that you can do to edit a movie and create something with this program is amazing. It was fun experiences watching everything come together and watching different parts of my footage bond together in way I didn’t even see at first. Even though I had to re do my movie at least 6 times because it constantly disappeared or didn’t save, and it was also a very tedious process with every single different option you could choose from along with remembering absolutely everything I did on the previous movie (putting in music, taking out background noise, putting in transitions, etc.) I feel as if I know the program very well now and any future projects I do will be done with no stress because of all the times I had to go back into my project and edit everything and re do everything more than once. I suppose practice does make perfect.

I went in to it this project with an open mind and not becoming too stressed out about it because I knew it was going to be something that I wasn’t familiar with so if I got myself all worked up about it then the whole learning experience would of been ruined. I’ve seen many other people in our class get all stressed and shut down because of the iMovie program or fed up with the computers. All that none sense affects the whole group there for setting the whole groups movie back because they couldn’t just finish their own part of it. Many aspects of this was difficult, from cutting the music to be perfect, to having the right amount of 1:20 on your video and exactly 5:30 as a whole, dragging and dropping different things, projects not saving, and not having abrupt endings. But without all the difficult things happening we would of never learned the program properly. Everything in life isn’t easy and I for sure didn’t expect this to be either.

I am very happy to of had the group I had and happy that this project is finally complete and we are now able to present everything everyone has been working on. It has been a fun ride and the outcome of mine and my team member’s work has been better than expected. My group was very open to everyone’s ideas and took everyone’s criticism very well; we all contributed ideas for different things and knew how to communicate in a professional manner without biting each others heads off. When it came down to the footage everyone did an awesome job at getting everything they needed together and on time and each had the right amount of work done to make the video 100% completely done.

I think that our topic of separation really fit in with our team. We all were extremely different from each other in many ways but for our movie we basically all did the separation of our jobs in some aspect. It was a pretty easy concept to grab on to and run with because we didn’t have to really show a traditional beginning or end to the movie since we were trying to reach separation anyways, we had a lot of freedom to do whatever we wanted with our own personal movies and the movie as a whole could stand out and be different. Everything fit together really nice with all the transitions separating our three different videos and the music that we used had good transitions. I personally think we did an amazing job portraying separation and the class watching will understand our topic. We used very minimal text and a few pictures to tye up the ending of the video. Being OCD about the movie really paid off because going in and fixing every detail to make sure it look exactly how I wanted it and how the group wanted it is really going to pay off in the end.

For never using this software or having to add music to anything I feel like I did a really good job cutting music to fit it in. In my own personal video I used two different songs where they would stop and one would start again and then in another area had to start back up at the same spot it ended. For that task alone I did the best I could with little knowledge that I had and it came out exactly how I wanted it and wasn’t choppy or abrupt. I do wish that maybe we spent one day learning about how to make it a little bit smoother but I love being hands on and teaching myself new things.

I love the aspect of being able to use video to convey a point or show anything at all, when I moved out my mom sent me videos of my dog everyday which I loved way more than just a picture because I could actually see him doing cute things like I was actually with him. Also, in most cases its much easier for someone to grasp something but seeing it and also people can pay more attention to something they are watching being done and not spoke at. Growing up I never read books as much as my mom tried to force me to read I just couldn’t get into a book, It didn’t have the same effect on me as other people. But, once books started being made into movies and I could see the book in "real life" that is when I started to appreciate what people could do with making movies and finally put those visions in my head, the same ones people got from reading.

Videos are a very positive tool that is used to grab a person’s attention and not let go. By having something be loud and eye grabbing with colors and text you can easily grab on to a person’s attention, describe what you want that person to know about and they are sold. Commercials are the best example, without eye grabbing commercials with catchy jingles companies wouldn’t be able to sell any of their product, the new mini iPad commercials they use a jingle that everyone knows and loves with a image of a iPad and someone playing a keyboard on it and that very moment you want to download that ap or go get a new iPad. Boom...sold.

 

YouTube has single handedly become one of the most popular video streaming sites on the web. People have become world famous because of YouTube whether it was because you were a singing sensation, or in my friend Jack's case he did a stupid stunt on his BMX bike and made a lot of money because he was put on Rob Dyrdeks show "Ridiculousness". Also if you get enough hits on your YouTube page YouTube starts paying you money and again I know many people who get checks every month for all the stupid shit that they do.

I have never used Vimeo or even looked at it before I came into this class. I have noticed that it is more for people who want to post videos of just themselves or videos that they have made (such as projects like the one we had to do). Everyone seems to have videos more on the creative side which is probably why they don’t use YouTube because knowing their luck it would probably be taken down and all their hard work gone to waste. YouTube is a place for people to do awful renditions of other people’s songs, post dumb pet videos, watch music videos and vent. Vimeo is a place where artists go to be creative. The community of Vimeo is large and filled with indie filmmakers and vast numbers of people with a passion for film; numerous popular entertainers have used Vimeo to host content, even the White House posts high-definition versions of its broadcasts to Vimeo.

YouTube has come a long way and has done amazing things for people and giving them the free opportunity to post whatever they want but within reason. People are getting noticed more and more because of YouTube, many famous singers that we know today had been discovered because of YouTube. There was a TV show called "Opening Act" where new opening acts for top notch performers such as Bon Jovi were only found because of using YouTube (mind blown). Most of the content on YouTube has been uploaded by individuals, although media corporations including CBS, the BBC, VEVO, Hulu, and other organizations offer some of their material via the site, as part of the YouTube partnership program.

But, in any case all good comes with bad. It’s amazing how people get the courage to post videos of them singing or playing an instrument or dancing and knowing that millions of people could see you but it’s also that chance that those millions of people could bad mouth and break you down into a million pieces. On YouTube there is this girl and her name is Nicole 337, my friends tear her apart with her daily videos of her singing off key and doing weird things. It’s sad because she definitely has some kind of autism but she still does what she does even though people leave her awful comments telling her to stop.


 YouTube in the end still does an amazing job helping to spread awareness for different things and getting out certain important information with their ads and videos.


No comments:

Post a Comment